Keswick

 

fellsphoto home  > Lake District postcards >  Keswick

(Note that the copyright status of many of these photographs is unknown other than that of the Abrahams' photographs for which copyright is jealously guarded by the Abrahams' estate.)

 

Keswick c.1900 - view from Latrigg

the view of Keswick from Latrigg c.1900

Directly below is the railway line and station. The large building being the Keswick Hotel with Fitz Park beyond. Station Road is the obvious straight road leading away from us.

The road running into the bottom left corner of the picture is the Penrith Road. St John's Church is seen at the centre.

All the fields on the left side of picture would be lost to later urban expansion.

 

Keswick 2009 - panoramic view from Latrigg

Keswick today. The Keswick Hotel and St John's Church are ringed.

 

 

Keswick c.1900  : Station Street   

Station Street (Station Road beyond the road junction) women's dress suggests 1890's or earlier.

 

 

Keswick c.1900  : Station Street  : detail 

The woman is wearing the 1883-1890 style bustle.

W H Smith's is still in the same shop today. Just beyond their sign we see a painter working on a ladder trestle.

 

 

Abrahams' 298  :  The Keswick Hotel - the stage coach leavng for Windermere

 

 

 

Abrahams' 298  :  The Keswick Hotel - the stage coach leavng for Windermere 

 

 

 

Coach leaving Keswick for Windermere (Pettitt)

 

Coach climbing Castlerigg Brow above the town. St John's Church below. Derwent Water and Grisedale Pike in the background.

 

 

Abrahams' 621  :  coach turning out of Station Road   

 

The photographer (Abrahams) had prepared for this: the coach and the large number of people walking towards the town suggests that this was taken soon after a train had arrived.

Motor coaches appear in the Lakes around 1910/12 so we might assume this is earlier.

After WWI the wall will be lowered and set back to create space for the war memorial. (see the post-war 621 below)

 

Abrahams' 619  :  Station Road pre-war

 

Abraham's pre-war No.619 of Station Street and Latrigg.

 

 

Abrahams' 619  :  Station Road pre-war - detail of shop girl and other pedestrians

 

 

 

 

post war Abrahams' 621  :  Station Rd, Keswick  :  the war memorial  :  cars heading for the station

The cars heading for the station suggest the mid-1920's. The white spot on Jenkin Hill, just above the Latrigg skyline, is the Skiddaw Hut.

Note that Abraham's uses the same code number '621' for both Station Road photographs.

 

 

Abrahams' 621  :  Station Road post-war (after 1922)

 

Abraham's post-war No.619 of Station Street and Latrigg.

The War Memorial was erected on 21st May 1922 which dates this as later, although, perhaps judging by the horse drawn coach, not by much.

Note the motor coach stopped in front of the war memorial and the car's chauffeur (in cap) stepping off the kerb at left. 

 

 

c.1930  :  County Corner and the war memorial  :  the corner of Station Rd & Penrith Rd, Keswick

 

The cars date this to c.1930  :  County Corner and the war memorial : the corner of Station Rd & Penrith Rd with Fitz Park behind.

The stationary car with its AA badge outside the AA hotel has registration CU 2661 and so is from registration area Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~  more photographs to come  ~~~~~~

 

(Note that the copyright status of many of these photographs is unknown other than that of the Abrahams' photographs for which copyright is jealously guarded by the Abrahams' estate.)

 

~ ~ ~

fellsphoto home  > Lake District postcards >  Keswick

             lthumbnail : link to fellsphoto home page

this page launched 14th February 201 : last modified  8th August 2014